Death and injuries in an Anderson store parking lot

Greg Shore, Anderson County Coroner, and his office are investigating an incident in which a man died and his wife and child were injured. Anderson County EMS, Medshore EMS, Homeland Park Fire Department and the Anderson County Sheriff’s Office responded around 9:00 pm last night to 408 Highway 28 Bypass at the Lowes Home Improvement Store parking lot in Anderson, SC for a vehicle in the parking lot with two adults and a child unconscious in the vehicle. Don McCown, Senior Investigator-Deputy Coroner identified the male victim as CHRISTOPHER ALEXANDER, 29 years-old from Anderson, SC. The decedent was treated by EMS personnel and transported to AnMed Heath where he was pronounced deceased on arrival at the hospital. The cause of death has been determined to be Carbon Monoxide Toxicity and Illicit Drug Abuse. The investigation indicates that the victim, his wife and a 22-month old child were in the vehicle with the vehicle running for an extended period of time while using illicit drugs. The vehicle emissions contributed to a high level of carbon monoxide in the vehicle resulting in significant exposure of all vehicle occupants. Coroner said “Thanks to the Quick Actions of ACSO Deputies” who arrived on scene and quickly removed the child from the vehicle, provided treatment and transported the child emergent to the hospital prior to EMS arrival, probably resulted in a child not dying from the carbon monoxide and illicit drug exposure. The child and mother have been admitted to the hospital for further treatment.
The investigation is ongoing.